Folks, I know I have seen this on this list and thought I saved it for
reference but alas it is gone!

I want to create a service program I think (any reason I should do this
another way will be welcomed), I have created a Cobol module but when I try
to create the service program I get this:

CRTSRVPGM SRVPGM(HGR0093/LSSUCONVT) MODULE(*LIBL/LSSUCONVT) SRCFILE(HGR009
3/SYSTEM) TEXT('Strip Special Characters from 200 char field')
HGR0093/SYSTEM.LSSUCONVT line 1: ***ERROR Syntax not valid.
HGR0093/SYSTEM.LSSUCONVT line 1: ***ERROR No 'current' export block
Binder language compilation failed with 2 errors and 0 warnings.
Service program LSSUCONVT not created.

The program is a small Cobol in/out utility to strip and scrunch out special
characters from any 200 character long field. My idea for making it a
service program is actually two fold, I want to know how to do this and I
also want to avoided some red tape around here. The program could just as
easy been a callable subprogram.

What are the advantages of doing this as a service program vs. a callable
subprogram?

For reference, here is pretty much the entire program (I know there is
missing code):

         1 WS-IN-DATA.
           2 WS-IN-CHAR Pic X Occurs 200 Indexed by ICIX.

         1 WS-OT-DATA.
           2 WS-OT-CHAR Pic X Occurs 200 Indexed by OTIX.

        Linkage SECTION.
         1 LS-IN-DATA                Pic  X(200).
         1 LS-OT-DATA                Pic  X(200).

       PROCEDURE DIVISION
           Using LS-IN-DATA LS-OT-DATA.
        0000-MAIN SECTION.
         0000-BEGIN.
           Move LS-IN-DATA to WS-IN-DATA
           Set OTIX to 1
           Perform Varying ICIX from 1 by 1 until ICIX > 200
              If WS-IN-CHAR(ICIX) is Alphabetic-Lower or
                 WS-IN-CHAR(ICIX) is Alphabetic-Upper or
                 WS-IN-CHAR(ICIX) is Numeric
                 Move WS-IN-CHAR(ICIX) to WS-OT-CHAR(OTIX)
                 Set OTIX up by 1
              End-If
           End-Perform
           GOBACK