From: midrange-l@midrange.com
Date: Thursday, June 20, 2002 10:58:20 PM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: Multiple subfiles and control records on one screen

Hi,

I am working on a screen design that will use two subfiles, two subfile
control records (with input fields), plus another record with input
fields. After laying this out in a word document for review by the users,
I am starting to have doubts that I can make it work easily for the end
users. A rough layout follows (line numbers are not on the screen):

1 Company name title line
2 Application name (Purchase order receipts rejects disposition)
3 Detail information about items being inspected (output only).
4 Detail information about items being inspected (output only).
5 Detail information about items being inspected (output only).
6 blank line
7 Is further evaluation or additional processing required? _ Y=Yes, N=No
8 Component Engineering evaluation required? _ Y=Yes, N=No
9 Instructions:
10 Subfile line one (input and output)
11 Subfile line two (I/O)
12 Subfile line three (I/O) with a "+" sign to allow roll up for more lines
13 Disposition Code: _ (promptable) Disposition code description Shop
order:_______
14 Instructions:
15 Subfile line one (I/O)
16 Subfile line two (I/O)
17 Subfile line three (I/O) with a "+" sign to allow roll up for more lines
18 For purchasing user only:
19 RMA# ________________ DM# _________
20 blank line
21 Corrective action required? _ Y=Yes, N=No CA# ____________
22 blank line
23 Command keys for Exit, prompt, print MRB tag
24 message subfile

I have been thinking that lines 1 through 12 would be the first subfile and
control record, 13 through 17 the second subfile and control record, and 18
through 23 as the final format.

I am having trouble visualizing how I am going to get this to actually
work, or if I can get it to work in a way that the users would find
usable. How would a user navigate through this screen? If I am trying to
use exfmt for each portion of the screen, how would I handle that? If my
program is waiting on an exfmt for the top subfile and control record
(lines 1 - 12), how would I know if the user entered anything into some
other portion of the display? Although this screen gives the user an
overall view of the disposition, should I break it up into three smaller
screens instead? This screen is already the third of three screens for
the application and would be reached by pressing a function key on the
first screen.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.

Dave Murvin
DRM Enterprises, Inc.