From: "Evan Harris" <spanner@ihug.co.nz>
> In any other comparison a single user would have access to the whole
> machine and any server processes would use the whole machine - does the
> performance statement still hold ?

I haven't used apachebench or any of the other standard network transaction
benchmarking tools to verify my suspicions, but I'd bet a finger that
virtually any free Unix-like OS would not merely trounce, but utterly
annihilate the AS/400 in transaction stats.  For example, the $17000 170 I
have at home struggles and strains trying to start multiple ftpd processes,
whereas any random $25 flea market 386 with 32MB RAM running Linux would
have no problem doing dozens.  I think it may be necessary to put ten times
the money into an AS/400 than one would put into a PC to obtain comparable
performance, at least in anything network-related.

brian.