>Finally, see this URL for a bit more understanding of
> _why_ Simon answered the way he did:
> http://www.tuxedo.org/%7Eesr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Ya know, I clicked on the link and then immediately deleted the email.  But
I gotta tell you, this should be required reading for everyone on the list!
Especially newbies.  But even for longtimers, like myself.  I found a few of
my "bad" habits listed in there, this message notwithstanding. <g>

Having said that, I would like to think that Midrange-L's (and other
midrange.com lists) subscriber lists are comprised of professionals who have
perhaps a bit more politeness & patience than typical "hacker" lists might
employ.  Do I find Simon's rants a bit unnerving?  Yes, at times, I think
there are perhaps better, um, nicer?, ways to get his points across.  Maybe
it's an Aussie thing?  But, boy, no doubt about it, you know exactly where
he stands, don't you?  <g>  I would also like to buy the man a
beer/stout/whatever you call'em down under, and hear him pontificate for a
few hours.  Next time I fly down, eh?  <g>

In Mike Smith's case, he did a few things right, according to the How-To
document.  He stated his big-view requirement.  He stated what he had done
so far and why it hasn't worked.  But, in the "Smart Questions" parlance, he
asked a 'stupid' question - "is there an API?"  I see many questions like
this on the list where there are obvious (to me, admittedly my bias) better
first sources of information to search.  Many that ask a question "is there
an API?", but don't even suggest that they tried to do any kind of research
or experimenting; at least Mike did that!

(I might have expounded for a few hours about the mediocrity of IBM's
documentation that makes it difficult to find information and, therefore,
lead one to go "to the list" a bit sooner than one should, but that horse
was thoroughly beaten within the past month or so.)

Please, click on that link, and give it a good read.  If everyone followed
the etiquette, we could keep the rants on the list at a minimum.

Have a great weekend!

Dan Bale
SAMSA, Inc.
989-790-0507
DBale@SAMSA.com <mailto:DBale@SAMSA.com>
  Stanley Cup Finals lower bowl tickets at Joe Louis Arena: $500
  Official Red Wings jersey: $150
  Octopii to drop splat in front of Irbe: $22 each
  Nine Lord Stanleys: PRICELESS!