Brian,

IBM is not likely to support this kind of recovery scheme.  Nor is
Microsoft for that matter (I'm speaking off the top of my head here, but
I would imagine that if you ran into trouble on Ghost, Microsoft would
suggest that you reload from your distribution CD or contact the vendor
of Ghost (I'm willing to be wrong on this one though)).  It is something
that could be implemented however.  All that is required is that a PC
with a RAID array be recognized as a tape drive through DST.  Someone
may have been working on such a configuration on this list.  I recall
some postings a while back.

I really don't see the market though.  This would allow for the
substitution of thousands of dollars of technology for a few hundred
dollars of tape, all of which may never be used.  Think about it, do you
really see a market for something like this?  The common application of
Ghost (and the majority of its licenses probably), replicating identical
desktops, really doesn't apply to the iSeries market.  Nor is the
iSeries as likely to experience a catastrophic failure as a
Microsoft/Intel platform.  I think that IBM is awake on this one.

I understand your frustration however.  You've got some rather expensive
large-capacity tapes which are not being used completely.  They're
costing you money and you would like to use them to their full capacity.
I don't know of a solution for this.  I've never done a SAVSTG and
generally don't have more a few copies of a SAVSYS at any one time.  Are
you running these commands frequently?  Traditional disaster recovery
would perform the SAVSYS after only after major PTF applications.

Regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse

IBM,