Buck's suggestion is a good starting point, but I would also add that RPG-IV
has many coding enhancements over RPG-III/400 that may impact run times
favorably as well.  For example, you may find in your RPG-III/400 code that
there are subroutines to work with strings or dates.  RPG-IV has many string
& date handling built-in functions that do not exist in RPG-III/400.

I might suggest that you contact Genexus to see if they can take one of your
existing Genexus development program specs that you "code" for the Genexus
program-generator and have them turn that into an RPG-IV program and send
you the generated source & compiled program object.  If it were me, I'd
probably choose a long-running batch program with string and/or date
handling.  Something like this *might* give you a good benchmark to compare
their generated RPG-III/400 and RPG-IV apps.  Not sure if I'm reading
correctly that no one in your shop understands RPG, so reviewing the
generated RPG-IV source might not apply in your case.  Again, if it were me,
I'd check the generated source to see that string & date handling functions
were using RPG's built-in functions and not Genexus-generated routines.  If
they were just using their own routines, then you might just as well use
CVTRPGSRC on all the generated source and compile those into RPG-IV
programs.

Thinking a little more than I should right now, but the other thing to keep
in mind about an RPG-IV source generator product is what level of backward
compatibility are they keeping the generator at?  For example, it might only
produce RPG-IV code that can compile at V3R2.  If so, you miss out on a
*LOT* of the string and date handling built-in functions that were added in
later releases.

- Dan Bale
(I am *NOT* "Dale"
http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l/200105/msg00281.html )