this is a very small workload, probably considerably smaller than the
interactive workload described in the Disk Arm Requirements document.

I agree with your hardware and software vendors.  Unless you are
planning on adding new workloads, either disk controller would probably
give you comparable performance.  Two of the significant differentiators
between the two are the size of write cache and the number of disks
which can be attached.  In your situation, it probably doesn't matter to
you whether you can attach 12 (#2763) or 18 (#4778) disk units.  The
#2763 has a write cache of 10 MB versus the 104 MB of the #4778.  It
probably doesn't matter to you whether you can compress your disk
storage or not, or whether you can attach an adaptive cache device.

The only significant variable between the controllers in your
configuration would be the size of the write cache.  If you think of how
many adds/updates are occurring on your system at any one time, do you
think you will exceed 10 MB?  It doesn't sound like it to me.

It sounds like money is an important factor in this purchase; I would go
with the lesser of the two controllers.  I don't think there would be a
noticeable difference between the two.

Regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse