Andy,
I think to remember that the system is worse than you described:
mixing 8 GB and 17 GB drives results in half the percentage on the 17 GB
compared to the 8 GB drives, because an arm is an arm and the controller
does not know about the capacity "behind" this arm.
So, if you you got a system with, for instance, 46 % used space on an
80 GB ASP consisting of 4x 8 GB (RAID5) and 4x 17 GB (RAID5)
then the drive sets would look something like:  70 % space occupied on
the 8 GB and 35 % used space on the 17 GB drives.
This is only different when running ASP balancing or doing bulk
unloads / reloads for large amounts of data.
Generally speaking, I think one can much more easily overload a certain
disk arm with drives of higher capacity than with a bunch of smaller drives.
I would certainly be interested in the exact algorhythms behind these
symptoms I watched on real systems out there.

Regards from germany, Philipp Rusch