BEfore the days of fractional processors, you  had to
give horsepower to a partition  in FULL processor
increments.  If it was an 4 way  with 3700 CPW total
then  divide by 4 to get the CPW /processor. Not evry
prartition needs that much or there could be a patiton
that needs the equilivant of -2- full processor  worth
of CPW plus another 50CPW. You can see 875 CPW  gets
wasted by the full porcessor rules.( thats  goo  for
the  marketing/sales guys to make a buck, not as
efficient use of the system resources. Interactive  CPW
is  devided a bit differenctly as a percent of the total
CPW and very granular these days.

You can also take a uniprocessor and LPAR that today.
Not true in V4Rx releases. So immediately  your  costs
went up to a minimum of 2 processors and on it went.

You will have to learn more then you  ever wanted to
know about hardware in the process. So if  you are only
doing this once , get someone on board that has
experence.  On the hardware side you will discover your
current system is full on migration trash(a-kind to
Space Junk) just stuff that is there costing you money
taking up space and should be trashed. This is little
different then "stuff" accumulating on your DASD.
--
Glenn Ericson
718 898 9805