> Below is what happens when I try to FTP into our AS/400:
> ==========================
> C:\WINDOWS>ftp 192.168.xxx.xx
> Connected to 192.168.xxx.xx.
> 421 Connection refused.
> Connection closed by remote host.
>
> C:\WINDOWS>

This line:
> 421 Connection refused.

Indicates that the FTP Function INIT failed before you ever got the chance
to tell the system that you are FRANK36.  The INIT function always runs as
user QTCP - it may seem screwy at first, but that is just the way that
things are.  Your exit program only allows FRANK36 to use the FTP server, so
QTCP is not allowed to generate a signon prompt for FRANK36.

When you think about this, it really make perfect sense.  When you issue the
line "C:\WINDOWS>ftp 192.168.xxx.xx", FTP has no idea who you are (you
haven't signed on yet).  So that initial request to receive a signon prompt
(the INIT) runs under a default profile of QTCP.  Once you have signed on
and validated yourself to the system, the rest of the FTP functions run
under the user that successfully signed on.

So you may want to change your exit program so that QTCP is allowed to use
the FTP server, or even more specifically, the INIT function of the FTP
server.  Or you can avoid this little ugly, (and the succeeding quirks of
exit point programming in general) by purchasing a ready made exit program
package that has solved all of these problems already.  I gotta believe that
in the long run it will be less expensive.  :)

HTH,

jte

--
John Earl