Kathie,

I do question why the PC software does not have a "scripting" language
to do just what you want - we have MSI devices going to a PC and that
PC does the FTP to the AS/400 as part of the software.   That being said,
your issue is that the software you have does not have that - so...

I would write a job on the AS/400 that would loop with a delay job,
for example here we loop every 5 minutes.

This job would then read the directory from the PC into a database file
on the AS/400, at which point you can read through to see if there
are any new files to FTP and process.  At that time too, AFTER the
successful FTP to your AS/400, move/delete/rename the file(s), as
to how your business requirements dictate.

On the flip side (there are many ways to skin this cat)
You could; if you have a java engine on the PC; write up the
app there to do the work of seeking and sending in java.
Or do it in basic, visual basic or C++, foxpro, the list goes on and on...
depending on your skill set available and the dollars your are
willing to invest.

As for your other need, the AS/400 "IF" hooked up to your
network properly and through a firewall to the internet
could send e-mail confirmations of the file receipts, or
for that matter, fax a confirmation - again, depending
on your budget and skill set.

Just a few ideas to chew on,
HTH

Mark