From: midrange-l-admin@midrange.com
[mailto:midrange-l-admin@midrange.com] On Behalf Of Evan Harris
Sent: Sunday, May 19, 2002 4:21 PM
To: MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
Subject: Perle 494T configuration over WAN

Hi guys

I have a short to medium term requirement to enable some green screens
over a WAN after we relocate a system we are managing to another site.
The new site has WAN access to the old/remote site.

I also have an old Perle 494T that could be used to provide access to
the few green screens that will remain in the short term if I can just
figure out how to configure it :) I have been testing configuration
across the WAN on another box we have as follows:

I have read the installation manual, and examined the various network
diagrams provided to see if any of them match the configuration we are
going to use. The Ethernet diagram seems close but not quite right - I
get the impression it expects the controller to be on the same LAN
segment.

I have configured an APPC controller and a RWS controller ( I also tried
without creating this using autoconfig as well) as per the manual. I
have added the host table entries etc etc  that the tech notes on the
Perle web site indicate are needed. I have turned on Anynet and IPL-ed
the box all with no success.

What I don't quite see is how the remote box will communicate across the
WAN when there is no place to configure an IP address on the remote
controller - the manuals and documentation sort of allude to Anynet/SDLC
tunnelling (?) taking care of this for me, but it seems to me it
wouldn't route across the WAN. Everything I read/hear seems to indicate
that it should work but...

Does anyone have an old set of notes that tell how to do this - the
Perle manuals and software are just slightly different enough between
themselves and the configuration manual that I am having difficulty.

Alternatively if anyone can tell me that this cannot be done then I can
drop it and move on to plan B or Plan C instead of getting bogged down
on Plan A :)

Any comments - including low cost solutions about how to enable green
screens across a WAN welcome

Regards
Evan Harris