----- Original Message -----
From: "Jerry Barry" <gebarry@us.ibm.com>
> We are actively evaluating and testing search alternatives.  The initial
release of V5R2 will use the same search engine, but there will be some
improvements:

> 1.  When a query is made for one of the most common search terms, a set of
> 3-5 recommended links will be provided ahead of the normal search results.

> 2.  We will provide text along with the links in the results list to give
> some context to the search hit.  Normally, this will be the first 100-150
> characters of the topic (and you'll be able to turn off the abstracts)
>
> Unfortunately, the engine we are using on the internet does not provide
> support for searching titles only nor does it give precedence to hits
found
> in the title.

Jerry,

InfoCenter does not have the source code for the search engine it is using ?

The search string should be the central part of info center search. And IC
search is the central part of InfoCenter.
Embed keywords and common search terms in the title and body of the
documents. Non display the keywords as the default if it looks too
distracting. Advanced search categories are each assigned a unique keyword
that appears in the document title. &t in the search string means the word
that follows is only search for in document title. -&t means not found in
the title. &b = found in document body, etc.  Use ebay search as a starting
point.
and helps compose the search string.  No finders are needed, no special "I
think this is what you are looking for" logic needed.

Please dont mind as I role play as a high paid info center design
consultant.  But info center is key to the success of our platform and it
should be a window on the excellence of the system.

Steve Richter