While there is currently the concept of a job date associated with a job, I
do not believe you will currently find any attribute such as "job time"
associated with a job on the system.

There is system time (basically the time associated with the system clock
and accessed with system values such as QHOUR, MI such as MATTOD, HLL
operations such as RPGs TIME, etc.) and the software clock time (used by
very few system components and accessed with software clock specific APIs).
Unless you have specific need to be aware of the software clock, it
generally can be ignored (and I feel safe in saying is probably unknown to
99.99% of iSeries developers).

A key question though for SNTP, as an application, is which clock (system
vs software) is being maintained.  There are various SNTP implementations
available on iSeries, and some update the system clock; others update the
software clock.  In the case of the SNTP client provided in OS/400 with
V5R1 the clock being maintained is the software clock.  In the case of the
SNTP client provided by the Custom Technology Center the clock being
maintained is the system clock.

Bruce

                      "Smith, Dave"
                      <dsmith@tshsc.com>        To:
"'midrange-l@midrange.com'" <midrange-l@midrange.com>
                      Sent by:                  cc:
                      midrange-l-admin@m        Subject:  Simple Network Time
Protocol (SNTP)
                      idrange.com

                      05/14/2002 12:35
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      midrange-l

Buck:

If I understand what you mean by "job time", I believe the answer is
neither.  The job time is retrieved from the hardware time (QHOUR...) at
the
start of the job.

ON Tue, 14 May 2002, Buck Calabro wrote:

> I continue to be confused.  I just don't understand why I (programmer
type)
> need to worry about the software clock vs. the hardware clock.  iSeries
is
> not a PC, and all my HLL programs read QHOUR whether directly or
indirectly
> unless I tell them to use the job time.

> The only question I think needs answering: does the SNTP client you use
> change job time or QHOUR?
>  --buck

Leif:

This is the explanation of the software clock from IBM:
http://as400bks.rochester.ibm.com/pubs/html/as400/v5r1/ic2924/index.htm?info

/rzakt/rzaktkickoff.htm

As you will see, it is primarily used for Network Authentication Service
which I know very little about, but will learn.

You lost me on the "MI-Clock" and MATMATR.