Brad Jensen wrote:

>----- Original Message ----- > I don't have the luxury of IE, because, I do
>not want to have a
>
>>dedicated Windows system only used for the purpose of Web Browsing. I
>>need to use alternative browsers, and I need web developers to support
>>those browsers.
>>
>>Syd Nicholson
>>

>And to some degree, we web developers wil cater to your idiosyncracies. It
>would be nice
>if your favorite browsers would support what Microsoft supports (jscript
>verion, not vbscript)
>otherwise it is kind of like having a lamp with a plug that doesn't fit the
>common electric socket,
>and expectoing all homes to be wired with two or five different kinds of
>electric sockets.
>
>As a programmer who works for a living, I find the anticommercial snobbism
>of the open source folks
>obnoxious. Software should be free. So should electricity, medical care,
>water, housing, and pizza. And whatever
>it is that YOU do.
>
>Someone is always paying for software development. I get the impression that
>much of the open source
>development efforst is done by people at non-profits, which in the USA get
>an effective tax subsidy
>by their tax exempt status.
>
>Which means I am subsidizing it, and then they get to tell me how I can use
>it.
>
>The people in the open source movements who put restrictions on the use of
>their software
>are hyopcrites. They are getting paid for their software - with their
>ego-control of others.
>
>There's nothing holy or noble about getting a free ride from the rest of us.
>It may be clever,
>but it is not socially responsible or constructive.
>
>Brad Jensen

This is not an question about me getting a free ride at the expense of
others. Using a small Windows network cost me approx $8400 dollars/annum
in lost time and inconvenience due to the instabilities in Windows. I am
a one man business and if my server goes down when off site there is no
way I can access it, get at my e-mail, gain access to important letters
and documents. In other words, With a downed server I can not run my
business remotely.

This eventually became intolerable. I can not afford the time or
inconvenience. That is why I moved to Linux. I am now saving at least
$8000 annually, but by not using Windows, I have problems of
compatibility. I am certain there are solutions to these problems, and I
don't mind paying for software licenses if that is required.

I am not trying to be noble, nor am I trying to be an anticommercial
snob. All I want is a stable, reliable system that works for me.

To go back to a network of Windows machines just to run IE on them will
cost me the $8000 dollars/annum mentioned above. IE is not free- it is
very expensive!!!

Incidently - This e-mail was written in Netscape 6 Mesenger on my
workstation running SuSE Linux 7.2, submited to my mailserver running
SuSE linux enterprise version and the SuSE mail server software, and
finally routed to the internet through my gateway PC running SuSE Linux
7.0.

Syd Nicholson