From: <rob@dekko.com>
> What this does NOT say is why Netscape fails to work on other html.

I know. I was too strong in saying that Netscape does not conform
to the "standard". An attitude colored by my negative experience
with netscape. There was a time where netscape *dictated* the
standard. If you wanted blinking background, dancing monkeys,
and shimmering unreadable gothic blue text of blue background,
or whatever people considered "cool" you had to use the (ever-changing)
extensions that netscape came out with and which became a
de facto standard. The W3C tried to stem that flood by adopting
most of netscape's excesses and ended up polluting HTML.
HTML was meant to separate context from presentation but with
netscape's extensions failed miserably in that respect. At times,
netscape would crash when presented with pages using their own
extensions. M$, of course, also played the standard extensions game
and (yes) often also crashed. With netscape now dead, the new
de facto standard is IE. This is just a fact of M$ monopoly position.
Most web "authoring" tools produce IE-style HTML. Now, I should
have kept my mouth shut because all this is sensitive to many people,
and not very productive. I apologize for getting hot and bothered over
this, but I have also wasted countless hours struggling with browser
incompatibilities. If 90% of everybody uses M$ stuff, one is fighting
and uphill and losing battle trying to ignore M$. The standard is what
the 90% uses, however sad that is. JMHO.