On 05/09/2002 at 10:41 AM Steve Richter wrote:

> Many times a search is done for a command or api, but the searcher does
not
> know the exact name of the command. Only words that describe the command.
>
> Allow the google "site" equivalent in an info center search.  Where
instead
> of site, allow "doc:" or "document:".  Provide briefly named documents
that
> contain a list of all the commands or links to all the APIs or links to
all
> the "how to" documents.
>
> When the searcher does not know the name of the command being search for
but
> does know its description, such as "send message", a search string of
"send
> message doc:AllCmds" would be entered.  The AllCmds document would
contain
> the title and link to each command definition document.  Searching just
that
> document would help the searcher find the command they are looking for.

As a part of our Advanced Search, we give the ability to select the area of
the site you want searched.  So, for example, you
could select the category 'CL and APIs' at V5R1.  You can also get a list
of all commands by descriptive name at
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/html/as400/v5r1/ic2924/info/rbam6/rbam6alphatable.htm#HDRALPHATABLE

or all APIs at
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/html/as400/v5r1/ic2924/info/apis/alpha.htm

For the V5R2 site, you'll be able to search the API and CL categories
separately through the advanced search.  And, we
are providing two new 'finder' functions - a CL command finder and an API
finder.  You can use these to search for an API or
CL command by descriptive name, name, or a part of the name.  These finders
are similar to the V5R1 System Value finder at
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/html/as400/v5r1/ic2924/info/rzakz/rzakzfinder.htm

 I think these finders will give you what you are
asking for.

Regards,  Jerry Barry

DDR/004-2E101  8/553-3666  (507)-253-3666
IBM iSeries User Technologies T/CEM

http://www.ibm.com/eserver/iseries/infocenter