On Wed, 8 May 2002, Dan Bale wrote:

> This thread got me thinking.  I'm close to putting a broadband router on the
> "front" of my cable connection and hooking up two (or more) PCs to it so my
> kids and I can surf at the same time.  I use a VPN connection to connect to
> our AS/400 (actually network) at work.  Sometimes I'd like to VPN to one of
> our clients at the same time, but I'm not able to get two VPN sessions
> running concurrently.  If everything goes through the router to get to the
> internet, can I use the other PC to VPN to the client while my PC VPN's to
> my company's network?

It sounds like your PC is responsible for you VPN connection and not some
hardware (like you cable connection?).  If so then a router doesn't care
that the stuff it is routing happens to be a VPN connection.  Put all the
computers behind it you can stand.

Now if some hardware device does the VPN then consult that.  But even then
you could set things up so that your hardware device does its VPN for
computer and the others don't (but still access the internet).

Finally, you could do what we've done and put a linux box in front of
everything that will do all the routing and VPN stuff you can dream of.
It can selectively put traffic on the VPN or not depending on the route,
so your 5250 session is encrypted but your google search isn't.  Plus you
wouldn't need to buy a router.  Plus you get all the other Good Stuff(tm).

James Rich
james@eaerich.com