To answer my own question:

If a logical for a physical file is in use when the CCSID for the physical
file is
changed, the logical CCSID will not change.

When the logical file is not being used and the CCSID for the physical file
is changed,
the logical CCSID will also change.

I had to do this again for another file, and watched the messages.  There is
a slight
difference in the messages given upon changing the CCSID with an in-use
logical and
without logicals in use, although no message is given to the job log.

Regards,

Jim Langston