If it's ftp you want there is a product called WebDrive that you install on the
PC.  It creates a drive letter(you tell it what you want) and you write any
files
you like to the dirve.  It will automatically ftp the files to what every you
have in the setup.  In your case it would be the AS/400.  Of course you would
need a connection to the AS/400.  I'm using it over the internet so it's a local
call.  If you like you can set it up with SSL, SSH, and Digest Authentication.
You can set it to start up with the PC. It can run on Windows 95, 98, ME,
NT v4.0 (Workstation or Server), Windows 2000, Windows XP.
If you can't direct the files into a different drive letter let me know and I
will
explain an other product I use to keep more that one directory up-to-date
either on the same PC or over a lan real time.  I use it for synchronizing web
pages over the internet.

You can find WebDrive at:
http://www.webdrive.com/products/webdrive/index.html
It's very easy to use and setup.

Enjoy,

Gary Kuznitz

PS:  I do not work for the company.  I am only a happy user.