I hate to keep beating a dead horse.  I know folks here consider Visual Age
RPG to be a useless product.  However:

It is easy to write a Visual Age RPG program that will reside on the PC.
The program would have 2 files  -  The ascii txt program-described file and
your AS/400 PF (connected via DDM so its reasonably secure).  The program
could have a timer event, and every few seconds it would poll for new data.
New data would be written to the AS/400 with the WRITE opcode.

It could easily have a GUI panel on the PC with full instructions and
whatever else is needed, like Meter-number, etc.

The whole program and run-time would be 10 to 15 megs in size - easily
fitting on any Pentium machine.

Booth Martin   http://www.MartinVT.com
Booth@MartinVT.com