I'm out of the office today, but I'll return on Monday, May 6th. If you need
further assistance, please contact Mark Greenawalt at x311, John Censoplano at
x353, or Spencer Chun at x354.

Thanks,
 Ted

>>> "midrange-l@midrange.com" 05/02/02 17:20 >>>

>>> "midrange-l@midrange.com" 05/02/02 17:17 >>>

>>> "midrange-l@midrange.com" 05/02/02 17:15 >>>

>>> "midrange-l@midrange.com" 05/02/02 17:13 >>>

I'm out of the office today, but I'll return on Monday, May 6th. If you need
further assistance, please contact Mark Greenawalt at x311, John Censoplano at
x353, or Spencer Chun at x354.

Thanks,
 Ted

>>> "midrange-l@midrange.com" 05/02/02 17:10 >>>

Hi all,

I have a sockets application that I'm having a problem with, and wonder if
anyone can point me in the right direction.  The system is working, but it
is also eating up the machine.

When I run the server program in debug, I find that the return code from the
select() statement is always coming back with a value of '1'.  In this
particular case I sent one message from the client.  The server recognized
the activity on the socket and issued a read against it, and processed the
incomming message.  It then wrote the response back to the socket.  From
that point on, with every loop through the code, it continues to show a
return code of '1' for that socket, even though there are zero bytes read.
Because of this it appears the select is never sleeping as it should, and
the result is a fast running loop that is eating all the machine's
resources.

I've attached the main part of the code.  The select() is at 257.  I would
appreciate any pointers you might have.

Thanks in advance!

Jim Whalen
PH 972 429-8238