Anne,

I may have started the trend in the thread by making the observation
that for many customers who use their iSeries primarily for
database-intensive work there may be no overall cost reduction based
upon the decrease in cost of the 17 GB drive.  It really wasn't meant to
be a slam or to dwell on negative issues, it was just an observation.
Nothing in the note below contradicts my point.

Perhaps I've been dealing with your legacy customers too long.  Those
folks who are running their businesses on JD Edwards World, MAPICS,
BPICS and the other manufacturing/distribution packages which used to be
the foundation of the IBM midrange.

Yes, being able to run e-business, collaboration, and web enablement
workloads on the extra disk space and extra processor cycles is a good
thing.  But for someone who is replacing a model 500 with 16 4GB drives
and moving to an 820, a year ago they would have spent $1,400 apiece for
12 8 GB drives.  Now they will spend $1,400 apiece for 12 17 GB drives.
That was my only point.  Their cost of computing has not decreased.  For
some of them the ability to run additional workloads has some
importance, for others it is totally irrelevant.

Regards,
And thanks for being responsive,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse