1)  You could replace the room air conditioner with one that is more like
a central air.  You know, that unit on the outside with a small pipe to
the big unit on the inside.  Maybe you could run a piece of rebar through
the air conditioner and secure that to the wall.

2)  The wall between your office and the computer room.  It doesn't end at
the drop ceiling does it?  Someone tried to firebomb an IBM branch by
pitching something over the drop ceiling.  They had full access but the
firebomb didn't work.  We're guilty of having ours stop at the drop
ceiling also.  Came in handy when we had to pitch some employees kid over
the wall to gain access during a power outage.

3)  I wonder if Frontier Safe Company in Fort Wayne could make a door that
would be acceptable.  They make gun safes and what not.  Several others in
the Fort Wayne Yellow Pages under safes.

4)  I would avoid explosives.  I've heard of a story where a guy got into
trouble for rigging a land mine to his gun safe after the safe was stolen
for the third time.  But the criminal never tried again  :-)

Sunguard was pitching a product not long ago where they would come in and
set up Mimix to their office.  Pretty much keep it a no brainer for you.
Business Recovery kind of got moved down our list though.  Contact me for
a good contact at Sunguard.

Benjamin Franklin

Jeff Crosby <jlcrosby@dilgardfoods.com>
Sent by: midrange-l-admin@midrange.com
04/29/2002 11:59 AM
Please respond to midrange-l

        cc:
        Fax to:
        Subject:        Physical Security (i.e. Physical Access)

I've worked at this food distribution warehouse for 28 years.  We've
never had a breakin until 9 mos ago and now we've had a 2nd, just this
past weekend.  As a result, we are looking at various ways to make the
building more physically secure.

A very important part of this is physical access to the computer room,
which also happens to be where we keep the safe.  The safe is burglar
proof and weighs almost a ton.  If there's one thing I'm sure of, it's
that no money will be stolen out of this office. <g>

Three of the 4 walls to the computer room are outside walls and
therefore concrete block.  The 4th side is the wall between the computer
room and my office.  There is a single small window from one outside
wall into the computer room, covered with bulletproof glass.  The
purpose for having this window no longer exists, so it could be closed
with concrete blocks.  The A/C is installed in this same outside wall
and wired to the burglar alarm.

Currently we have a solid wood door access to the computer room, also
wired to the burglar alarm.  We could also deadbolt this door.  My
biggest concern is when a potential burglar can't get any money, he/she
will turn around, see the iSeries and bash the crap out of it.  If our
iSeries is down, we're out of business until it's up.  Disaster recovery
comes into play here, which upper management has never seen fit to spend
the money for, but they may be more receptive now.

Questions:

1. What is available as far as "impregnable doors"?  I'm trying to block
access to the computer room.

2. A burglar could conceivably shove out the A/C into the computer room
and gain access.  Even though this would set off the burglar alarm,
damage could be done in less than a minute.  What is available to keep
these units in the wall?

3. How have your experiences been with IBM and/or Sungard in disaster
recovery?

Thanks.

PS. On a lighter note:  They cut the phone lines outside in an attempt
to prevent the burglar alarm from going off (which didn't work because
we have cellular backup on the burglar alarm).  But that did mean we had
to call Verizon for repair.  Using some 'secret' numbers we got repair
stuff started Sunday night.  It took 3 different Verizon guys to do
different repairs outside (read "union').  When they were finished, the
PBX phone system still didn't work, except internally only.  They said
it had to be an inside problem, requiring another guy.  The inside guy
came in this morning to all kinds of alarms on the system, but could
find no problems inside.  He went outside and found the problem.  It
seems that when the outside guys finished all the splicing and whatnot,
they forgot to plug the jack back in.  Sheesh.

--
Jeff Crosby
Dilgard Frozen Foods, Inc.

The opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily
the opinion of my company.  Unless I say so.