Another option would be to use the QLGSORT (Sort) API found in the
National Language Support category of system APIs.  The API can accept
input from sources such as files or buffers and return the sorted
output to either files or buffers.  I suspect if speed is important that
the ability to return the results directly in a buffer (as opposed to
a database file) might be nice, and that you will find the API to be very
efficient.

Bruce