Every system (you are not on v5r1 yet, are you?) has a performance monitor
that can collect performance data. PM400 (Performance Manager 400) uses
this to get the data it sends to IBM.

Performance Tools gives you commands and menus that let you, yourself,
analyze the data you collect.

There are some things that don't need Performance Tools.

1. RTVDSKINF & PRTDSKINF. These commands give you a report of how disk
space is used. Can take a long time to run, especially on a large system.
Many run these and compare them for growth.

2. You can have the system automatically adjust pool settings. Check system
value QPFRADJ. This can move memory to the job that needs it. There's a 3rd
party product that does the same thing, and more, called AutoTune. With
either of these you no longer need to manage memory so much by yourself,
the system (or AutoTune) does it.

3. Operations Navigator, in recent releases, has performance monitors you
can set up. These will show you graphs of various performance results.