From: midrange-l-admin@midrange.com
[mailto:midrange-l-admin@midrange.com]On Behalf Of Philipp Rusch
Sent: Friday, April 19, 2002 2:18 PM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: Re: Urgent - AS400 Connectivity Problem

Hello Karthik,
changing the MAC address is no pain at all, vary off the ethernet line
go to the LIND/ADPTADR and change it to 420000000001,
420000000002 and so on.
For every machine on your LAN you need an exclusive MAC number.
In Ethernet environments, this has to start with '42' hex and the mac
itself is a 12 digit hex number.
A little background: Normally you don't compose your own MAC
addresses as these are burned in at the factory (think of it as a production
serial number). Every producer of network hardware has been assigned
an own range of allowed numbering space, I think the IEEE is taking care
of this, but I am not sure. So when do you need to overwrite the adapter's
own address with something artificial  ? Quite simple: in the days of SNA
there has been a 1:1 relation between SNA node name and the hardware
(MAC) address of that SNA-host. Often you used to have simple numbers
like yours, so it was easy to replace the machine with another without
changing to whole bunch of network definitions for that node in the net.
That's the only secret about it ...  :-)
In the days of IP there is far more flexibility about hardware related
adresses, because when starting TCP/IP on a particular node in a net it
correlates its own mac address to the IP address you gave it (either static
or by asking a DHCP-server) and that pair is maintained throughout the
whole segment you are in until the next time you take this node down.
So your duplicate MACs confused the team of servers in your LAN
completely, they did not know where to send to packets to and even your
ping was starving ...

HTH and regards from germany, Philipp Rusch