Yes it did seem to depend on the size of the file.  If I had to do it again
we would do something similar to Lyle's suggestion and use the
strobjcvn command immediately after the upgrade.
here is the help text from the strobjcvn command

The Start Object Conversion (STROBJCVN) command converts user
objects from the format used in the previous version, release, and
modification level of an IBM-supported operating system (V2R3M0,
V3R0M5, V3R1M0, or V3R2M0) to the format required for use in the
current operating system.  The following AS/400 objects are
converted with this command:

  1.  Programs (original program model (OPM) and Integrated Language
      Environment (ILE))

  2.  Service programs

  3.  Modules

  4.  Database files (physical and logical) on Replacing-a-release
      upgrade methods.

The user objects that are not converted with this command are
automatically converted when they are first specified for use.

    Note:  Using objects that are not yet converted will degrade
    performance of an operation.

Restrictions:

  1.  Programs, service programs, and modules must be observable in
      order to be converted.

                    Dimitri Efimov
                    <defimov@wiese.com.       To:     midrange-l@midrange.com
                    pe>                       cc:
                    Sent by:                  Subject:     RE: V5R1 slow?
                    midrange-l-admin@mi
                    drange.com

                    04/18/2002 10:23 AM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

>From your experience, do you think the conversion time depends of size of
the file?

This point is very important for as. We are going to upgrade our system to
V5r1 soon, and we have about 10000 of PF's and a lot of them > 10GB size.

Dmitri Efimov