This can be automated in batch files on the PC. You use a script file with
the ftp statements you will use. The batch file can even build the script
on the fly, based on parameters passed to it.

But this does not pull a file directly into Excel. Is this what you need?

Do you need to update the 400 file from Excel? Again, ODBC with MS Query is
the easiest way.

FTP can be used. You download the file, process it in Excel, then upload
it. Lots of VBA work involved.

As leif says, there's a lot of info on FTP out there. It's part of TCP/IP.
Contact me off list if you want to here more. But I recommend one of the
ODBC drivers for simplicity. Cost seems to be around $125 per PC using it
(and down with quantiy purchase).