Hatzenbeler, Tim wrote:

>The problems stems from this,  We use an accouting/purchasing/financial
>package supported by a vendor, and they only use one authority list for
>every user of the package, and that authority list is used for all libraries
>of their application...  So a person in purchasing has the same authority as
>some one in payroll, when it comes to object authority, the authority is all
>handled in the application, but as we all know, when we use an odbc driver
>we are outside of that authority checking...  Changing the authority list
>within the application is out, because all the systems tie together...  So I
>was looking at solving the problem a different way...  And that is,  if your
>making a request via odbc, ftp, ddm... change the profile to a profile that
>does not have a the libraries we would like to keep out of excel or crystal
>reports.

Your problems are not just with ODBC. If your users can access the data
using ODBC they could also use FTP and Remote Command functions to gain
access to the system. Also don't forget the impact of having Ops Nav on
all users PCs. THere is a program in CA/400 to "reinstall/update" the
CA/400 installation. Users could run this themselves and give themselves
more function than you originally installed.

Syd Nicholson