Rob
        Comments.
        1. The lugging concern is overcome when the behaviour of console
control requirements are met with a software
            solution, built into a profile(that's all I meant to say).
        2. Like MS, a client and a server version of the os is possible
        3. Mis-quote, I made no mention of slaying Microsoft.
        4. IFS by any other name, is just souped up way of the old folder, or
pc support methods used before.
            I trust if a client were designed, to run , the notion of IFS
wouldn't even exist, except on the server model.
            Linux office solutions could run native with the box.
        The technology struggle here, as I see it, is one between Extended
Ascii and EBCDIC, IBM struggling incessantly
        to keep up with the client hardware.
        It's also a methodolgy and belief system which is hard to shake.
        It will take a great deal of thought, and design work to develop a
totally new os which runs on a pc.
        Assember re-write, whatever. After all the server version runs quite
nicely on the Iseries.
        Again, who knows, perhaps a new techology will arrive, that washes
client/server technology.
-
Ken