James,

Your option #2 (below) is precisely the reason why iSeries servers are
so dificult to sell, especially to small business. iSeries is fine in
large business, but small business needs are different. It is not by
accident that MS and NT are so successful. In terms of providing
function and wooing customers MS have got it dead right.

iSeries should have these features. People shouldn't frightened of it.
See it as some strange box that they don't understand. They should feel
comfortable with the iSeries, view the machine like a different type of
PC. Remember iSeries has plug and play, it is just that the hardware
support is very restricted.

Most small business that I come into contact with have no IT department,
and do not want the complications and expense of some strange system.

The only way to make money out of small business sales is not by high
price (because this chases customers away), it is by high volume and
many sales (the MS approach). I don't believe IBM are interested in
small business, the financial returns are not worth the effort for the
occasional sale!!!

Whether the system is sold as a server or a portable doesn't really
matter, although I would really welcome an inexpensive portable machine.
Ideal for the type of work I do.

Syd Nicholson