From: James Rich [mailto:james@eaerich.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 1:31 PM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: Re: Cheaper Servers?

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Dare @ Work wrote:

> I think a portable OS400 can give Windoze a ride for its money.  Not to
> mention the stability of OS400 amongst many of its superior features.  Don't
> quote me but we could break the monopoly of Microsoft on OS.

This is ridiculous.  The same issues that keep linux and apple from
breaking MicroSoft's monopoly will keep OS/400 out of the portable market.
If by portable you mean "not on a server" then those issues are even more
potent against OS/400.  What are those issues?

1.  Microsoft marketing, monopoly power, and politics
        These three are where the real power of the microsoft corporation
        lies.  These three alone are very nearly enough to conquer any
        technical reason that might be used to not use a microsoft
        product.
2.  People have needs on portables that OS/400 does not supply
        Portables (both intel and powerpc) include features such as
        plug and play, wireless networks, video (whether standard
        SVGA, 3D, or TV), etc.  OS/400 cannot work with any of these
        hardware issues.  People do need to listen to CDs, browse
        the web, peruse news groups, write letters, do calculations,
        etc. all of which cannot be done (currently) on OS/400.

The only people who want OS/400 on a portable are people who already have
OS/400 on a server.  People who need the abilities of OS/400 aren't going
to need them on a portable.  Uptime?  Who cares?  A portable is shut off
all the time anyway.  Stability?  Who cares?  Same reason.  No SVGA?  Are
you kidding me?  You want that on a portable?

Even if issue #2 was not a problem, issue #1 still is.  As far as meeting
the needs of portable users, linux kicks all over OS/400's butt yet you
don't see linux breaking microsoft's monopoly (yet - despite my best
efforts).

Beyond the small scope of this list, nobody wants OS/400 on their
portables.  Use the right tool for the right job.  OS/400 on a portable is
the wrong tool.  You don't run database servers on portables.

Need to demo your 5250 application?  If you can't connect over the
internet or dial-up then make a slide presentation.

James Rich
james@eaerich.com