 From the text on the API, it seems it is running qsh with the command you
give it. qsh works with EBCDIC, so that should not be the problem. But
we've all been shoulded on, right?

It does mention that the return value is from waitpid(). It's actually the
second parameter on that API. There are a number of macros (C-type) in
member WAIT of file SYS in QSYSINC. How are you at converting C macros to
RPG?  Heh!  Let me know if you need help there. They're binary ANDs of the
value with some masks.

You might try the C mailing list.