Dan

the approach I usually use is to have a "change" library like FIXSTUFF,
PTFSTUFF, NEWSTUFF, or whatever towards the top of the library list. When I
need to install a fix or a new version I simply put it in the change
library. After installation I move and replace stuff from the change
library into the standard library at a suitable time.

One of the handy side-effects of this is that I usually have an old version
to roll back to in the event of a problem.

Note that this ignores database changes, but my experience is that the vast
majority of this stuff is programs, display files and printer files.

It shouldn't be too much work to create a library and add it into the job
description if this approach suits what you need to achieve.

regards
Evan Harris