Dan

I believe the section you might want in the "More cool things..." redbook
is PPP/Dial-on-Demand; be aware that there may/will be hardware release
dependencies - I'm pretty sure dial on demand required particular comms
cards. You will probably struggle on a release pre V4R3 and even then there
may be some stuff that is not reliable

Using Dial on demand I got my AS/400 to dial different numbers based on
some command parameter stuff as part of a proof of concept FTP automation
project. I agree with Buck that if you are going to automate FTP then you
will probably want to use Scott's API as vanilla FTP is a dog to error
check and recover. There are the commercial offerings also if money is
avilable.

One thing I seem to recall from someone on the list doing something similar
was an issue if the IP address at the other end was not fixed it was a
problem for the PP/SLIP connection defintion but I may be incorrect. Given
what it sounds like you are doing this may be worth investigating through
the archives.

Hope this helps
Regards
Evan Harris