Rob --

Have you looked at this redbook?

              SG24-5409-00
              DB2 UDB for AS/400 Object Relational Support
              February 2000

There is a bunch of setup and messing around required on the iSeries, but
eventually I got this working:

CREATE TABLE  MANGO/PFILE
  (U_file_id FOR COLUMN UFILEID  character  (16  )
                          NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT,

   U_file_link            FOR COLUMN UDLINK

                          DATALINK
                          LINKTYPE URL
                          FILE LINK CONTROL
                          READ PERMISSION FS
                          WRITE PERMISSION FS
                          RECOVERY NO
                          NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT,

INSERT INTO MANGO/PFILE
                         (U_file_link)

VALUES(dlvalue('file://RDB41A/home/charly/redbooks/sg245409.pdf'))
        1 rows inserted in PFILE in MANGO.

-- Charly

>From: rob@dekko.com
>
>Maybe I am trying to use the wrong field type.  I want to store a UNC,
>like //myserver/mydir/myfile.txt.  But even if I want to store
>http://gdihq/web/login010.html
>I can't get it figured out.
>
>CREATE TABLE web/RON (THEKEY CHAR ( 2) NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT,
>THEDATA DATALINK ( 100) LINKTYPE URL FILE LINK CONTROL MODE
>DB2OPTIONS NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT)
>
>INSERT INTO web/RON VALUES('A',
>dlvalue('http://gdihq/web/login010.html'))
>File server GDIHQ used in DataLink not currently available.
>
>INSERT INTO web/RON VALUES('A',
>dlvalue('//gdihq/web/login010.html'))
>Error 21 occurred using DataLink data type.
>
>Message ID . . . . . . :   SQL0357       Severity . . . . . . . :   30
>Message type . . . . . :   Diagnostic
>Message . . . . :   File server GDIHQ used in DataLink not currently
>   available.
>Cause . . . . . :   Server GDIHQ in the URL of the DataLink value is not
>   available for reason code 1. The reason codes are as follows:
>     -- 1 The file server in a Datalink value is not available.
>
>Message ID . . . . . . :   SQL0358       Severity . . . . . . . :   30
>Message type . . . . . :   Diagnostic
>Message . . . . :   Error 21 occurred using DataLink data type.
>Cause . . . . . :   An error occurred while using a DataLink. Possible
>errors
>   are:
>     -- Error type 21 is format of DataLink value not valid.
>
>Rob Berendt

"If you wanna end the war and stuff you gotta
sing loud." -- Arlo Guthrie

For their next act, they'll no doubt be buying a firewall running under NT,
which makes about as much sense as building a prison out of meringue.  --
Tanuki

Charly Jones
253 265-6244
Gig Harbor