There are several issues that could burn you here. The inherent problem is
that the user profile and password for Windows MUST match the user profile
and password for AS/400 if you are on certain versions of Windows and CA/400
combinations. If you are on Windows 2000 this error does not occur, because
Windows 2000 will enable you to tell it what profile/password you are using
to map this drive and if you then use your AS/400 profile/password you are
fine. If you are on Windows 95 or Windows 98 the Windows O/S (lovely animal
that it is) assumes you are using the same profile/password as you use for
your network and does not give you an option to specify a different one for
this function. If they do not match EXACTLY you will get an error. However
if you happen to be on a version of CA/400 prior to release 4 (which we
believe it or not have some facilities with individuals at those releases
still) you will not have the problem at all because the drive mapping is
done completely different in this scenario. However, anyone who is on
Windows 95 or 98 and is running CA/400 release 4 and above will need to have
matching profile and passwords for as/400 and network to map the drives. We
have been trying to get our folks who need this functionality to upgrade to
Windows 2000 (and deal with whatever bugs exist - which there apparently are
a few in our Lawson GUI to Windows 2000 scenario). It is a lovely time when
you have around 700 users and need to determine who is on which versions of
what at various facilities...makes for a few gray hairs. We even had one
individual on Windows 2000 and CA/400 release 5.1 that still had to have her
passwords sync'd for the initial map of the drive, but was okay after that
point - I am not certain she handled the profile/password entry correctly
however before calling the help desk to give her a new sync'd
profile/password so this may have been a 'user error' situation.
Lori Hainey
Project Leader
York International

-----
   5. Mapping a PC drive to a IFS folder (GRAFCOR@aol.com)
   6. Re: Mapping a PC drive to a IFS folder (MWalter@hanoverwire.com)
   7. RE: Mapping a PC drive to a IFS folder (Chris Whisonant)

> --

Message: 5