Well, phooey. Attachment delete and I forgot the source text  :-(

BTW, this requires a recent enough version so that macros can use VBScript.
I think any CAE can do it.

One more time, with filling!

LANGUAGE=VBSCRIPT
[PCOMM SCRIPT HEADER]
LANGUAGE = VBSCRIPT
DESCRIPTION=Hex input
[PCOMM SCRIPT SOURCE]

Option Explicit

Dim input_value, hex_value

autECLSession.SetConnectionByName (ThisSessionName)

subHex_

Sub subHex_()
input_value = InputBox("Enter a decimal number between 64 and 254, or a hex
value between x40 and xFE (either uppercase or lowercase")

If input_value = "" Then
     MsgBox ("invalid input")
     Exit Sub

ElseIf (IsNumeric(input_value) Or _
         (Len(Trim(input_value)) = 3 And _
          UCase(Left(input_value, 1)) = "X") And _
          IsNumeric("&H" & Mid(input_value, 2, 2))) Then

     If (UCase(Left(input_value, 1)) = "X") Then
         input_value = "&h" & Mid(input_value, 2, 2)
     End If

     If (input_value >= 64 And input_value <= 254) Then
         hex_value = Hex(input_value)

     Else
         MsgBox ("value '" & input_value & "' out of range")
         Exit Sub
     End If

Else
     MsgBox ("non numeric input '" & input_value & "'")
     Exit Sub
End If

autECLMacro "apl " & Hex(input_value)
End Sub