Chris,

I don't think that there is a significant justification or a price
difference of this magnitude.  If you want to 'make the sale' you
probably need to focus on total cost of either solution, including
administration, uptime, support, and general reliability.  Check for
white papers on the iSeries Domino site for supporting detail.  Also,
make sure that you have an appropriately discounted proposal from your
vendor.  When I used to put together such proposals, we would generally
price the Intel-based hardware at our cost plus a margin and the iSeries
hardware at IBM list price less a discount, generally in the 20% range.

If you (or your management) focus on the price of an individual disk
drive, then the iSeries is not going to be a viable competitor.

Why no quote for Domino on Intel?  I would think that it would be more
appropriate to decide on the appropriate software functionality, then
move to hardware platform.  Obviously Exchange will be an
Intel/Microsoft solution, but Domino is not.

Regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse

> Subject: Disk Drives
>
> What's the deal with the prices on iSeries drives? $2000 for a 10k
17.5 GB
> drive! We're working on getting a quote for a Dedicated Server for
Domino