Terry,

Are you looking to spend any money?  If, for instance, you were planning
on putting the system on Software Subscription or hardware maintenance
with IBM, you would stand a better chance of getting someone's
attention.

People transfer licenses all the time.  When I worked with an IBM
Business Partner we handled this type of transaction for our customers.
The system really has some flaws when it comes to private sales like
yours.  I would be persistent, keep asking to speak to other people
until you find someone who will help.  Some folks may be truly ignorant
of the process, others may be ducking because no one is getting money
for helping you; it is hard to tell sometimes.

When you bought the system, did you also get the certificates for the
licensed programs?  V4 licensed programs can be transferred by private
sale and there is an entitlement document (kind of like the title to a
car) which demonstrates ownership.  If you have these documents, keep
them safe.  If you didn't get any licensed programs, then you have
hardware and OS/400, which is tied to the hardware.

An additional thought - if the bureaucracy becomes unbearable, you might
try enrolling in the iSeries nation.  They have an advocacy service for
members who are having trouble getting IBM's attention in solving
problems.  The link for iSeries Nation is below:

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/audience/Homepage.wss?view=ination

Good Luck,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse

> Subject: AS400 Lincense Question
>

>       I purchased a used AS400 system with V4R5 from a business
recently.
> would really like to get the Licenses in my name.  I have contacted
IBM,