Howard Weatherly wrote:

>Consider setting up a users group and
>meet on a regular basis, say monthly.
>The focus of the group would be user
>training and other issues that concern
>the users. By making them a part of the
>process you will foster good will and
>with any luck prevent those kinds of problems.

Howard makes an excellent point.  The fundamental question (in my own words)
is "How can I let my users use the machine without using the machine?"  It
sounds like a joke, but I'm serious for once.  If user BUCK runs end of
month processing, then that profile has to be allowed to consume large
amounts of CPU and disk.  You might be able to turn that off during 'normal'
work hours, but you'll be unhappy when the end of month falls over because
BUCK hit the disk limit.

You could create a separate user profile for the end of month runs, but even
BUCK will probably be able to figure out that he can use BUCKEOM during the
week.

You could CHGQRYA but then BUCK wouldn't be able to do whatever research
he's working independently on.  Then you'd have to take time and do that
research in his stead.  Not a kind solution to a busy schedule.

Mistakes happen.  If you see a LOT of mistakes, it's time for somebody to
put on their Management hat and address training or punishment issues.  If
you see the occasional error, you may be over-reacting.  (If the system was
brought to it's knees SOMEbody had to notice...)  An end-user get together
is a fairly unique, unusually friendly customer service approach.  End-users
are my customers, right?

Kudos to Howard for finding a user-friendly way to address this common
issue.
  --buck