My thoughts:

It is _very_ important for IBM to understand how their documentation is
used.  For myself, in an upgrade situation, I have a hard copy of the
instructions by my side.  As the installation progresses, I make notes
of times so I can remember the duration of each step.  I check off each
step as completed and make brief notes of any unexpected results.  When
complete, I file away this documentation and associated notes for future
reference.

In order for this to happen, I require the ability to print out the
install instructions in a reasonably clear and easy manner.  I
understand and appreciate the need to present the instructions
electronically so that information can be current; this is a good thing.
Anything which makes those instructions harder to organize takes away
from my ability to do my job well and efficiently; this is a bad thing.

Somehow I doubt that I am the only one using the installation
instructions in this manner.  Organization, clarity, and ease-of-use are
key.

Regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse

> >Thus we did our best to make the location of the Prepare to install
> >information as visible as possible -- though we know it is not an
ideal
> >design and never had any intention of staying this way forever.  Our
plan
> >was and continues to be to move the remainder of the book to the
> >InfoCenter
> >as soon as possible.
>
> This is frightening! They want to move the ENTIRE manual to
Infocenter!
> Have any of these people tried to USE the stuff they put out? As
someone
> else noted, not even IBM personnel can find things easily in
InfoCenter.