Here's IBM's response to my question about the records passed to an exit
program from TRCJOB

>Problem:  Vernon has a question on the TRCJOB exit program.  The data
>provided to the exit program does not match the data in the generated
>spool file.

-snip-

>Vernon,
>.
>I apologize for the delay in getting back to you.
>.
>I ran your question by the TRCJOB development.
>.
>In the TRCJOB processing, the program handling the exit program does not
>have that information at the time the exit program is called.
>.
>The calculations are made later when the TRCJOB information is sent to
>aspooled file or an outfile, different programs later in the processing.
>.
>If all the information is needed, we recommend either generating an
>outfile, or using the spooled file directly.
>.
>It appears that the information has been missing from the exit point data
>since the exit point processing was first implemented.
>.
>We can document this discrepancy for TRCJOB, but the TRCJOB is no longer
>being enhanced.  The new STRTRC support in V5R1 replaces TRCJOB.
>Unfortunately, there is no exit program support available for STRTRC at
>this time.

-snip-

>OK. What I am trying to do is minimize the size of the collected data. I
>thought we could save the data, then set the first 2 bytes to nulls, so
>that TRCJOB gets no buildup of data.
>
>Seems we need to suppress only the records we do not want. then the
>desired ones will end up in the database or spooled file.
>
>Please document this behavior.
>
>Re STRTRC, I understand that this is essentially a PEX trace. My problem
>is that we cannot control the suppression and passing of records. Also,
>the documentation for PEX trace event raw data is woefully lacking. Is a
>question about this documentation covered under this contract (or lack
>thereof)?
>
>Thanks
>
>Vern

Vern Hamberg

Would you like to see a challenging little arithmetic puzzle
that might get you or your kids or grandkids more interested
in math? Go to <http://cgi.wff-n-proof.com/MSQ-Ind/I-1E.htm>

Sillygism--

Something is better than nothing.
Nothing is better than a ham sandwich.
Ergo
Something is better than a ham sandwich.