                    Sent by:                  Fax to:
                    midrange-l-admin@mi       Subject:     RE: QUERY TO SQL
                    drange.com

                    03/19/2002 03:46 PM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

When RTVQMQRY first came out, there were no join keywords on the 400. They
were brought in gradually, so that now we finally have a right outer join
even.

And interactive SQL is an antique interface that isn't getting much
attention. However, it's basically the same as the prompt in STRQM, and
probably the prompt in SQLRPG when you're in SEU (is that still there? or
ever?).

So these interfaces to query-like activity have not all stayed in sync.

Even before JOINs were explict in SQL on AS/400, it was well-known how to
express this with 'where exists', 'where not exists', and 'union select'.
And when nulls were added to SQL, it should not have been difficult to add
the 'or field is null' to the WHERE clause. But we all know how hard it is
to update our software, right?

I will submit a DCR, when I can put my thoughts together. Rob, can you
publish how to do this? When you don't have a Consultline or SupportLine
contract? Is there a link on InfoCenter that points to the process?

At 01:23 PM 3/19/02 -0500, you wrote:
>I won't speculate when it comes to your age, Buck <g>, but you make a good
>point.  I do not recall the (original?) intent of QM.  Your recollection
>doesn't ring a bell with me, but you could be right in that regards.
STILL,