First, I know the new twinax cards run at lower voltages and at faster transfer
rates.

I just moved around 20 devices from twinax on a 500 to a new 820 using 2 of
Omnitron's OmniMux 400 Express units via fiber. I'm using them in the mux-demux
cfg. That is 4 ports come off the 820 twinax brick thru baluns into 4 ports on
the source mux. The 2 muxs are connected via fiber. Then each port on the
destination mux is patched to a OmniMux Star panel.  This is all as advertised
in the manuals.

Once I get more than a few terms and printers up, they start dropping off.
Eventually the mux on the source(400 side) finally locks up and needs a power
reset.

I called Omnitron's 24/7 support line at 8:15am PST this Sunday morning. At
12:25pm PST I get a call back. The tech tells me that the mux's can't handle
the faster stuff and that I need to create a data area and put all zeros in it
to cause the twinax controller to work only at 1mb rate. That catch is he's 60
miles from his docs and can't tell me the name or anything else...

I've searched IBM and the MIDRANGE Archives and can't find a ref. I know I've
seen talk about this. ANYONE have the details? I need to at least patch this
puppy till I can chew on a Manager and some Marketing folks

Kirk Goins
IBM Certified iSeries Technical Solutions Design
IBM Certified iSeries Technical Solutions Implementation
Pacific Information Systems - An IBM Premier Business Partner
503-674-2985           kirkg@pacinfosys.com