I notice your return e-address ... what country is that? ... it may be that
IBM does not have personnel near you, and you have to work through 3rd party.
 It is not unusual even in USA to use 3rd party in place of IBM.

I'm doing this e-mail from home PC which has just come back after 3 days down
so I have over 1,000 e-mails to wade thru so I apologize if I am answering
what someone else already answered.

Have you seen http://faq.midrange.com/
http://www.geocities.com/starbuck5250
http://www.missystems.com/as400faq.htm

Generally you need to have the authorized security officer password if you
are going to be taking the system down & bringing it back up again.

PWRDWNSYS F4 has various options - do you want to take it down & leave it
down & how do you want to bring it back up again.  I don't like the white
button ... push it & you get question mark (meaning DO YOU REALLY WANT TO DO
THIS?), push it again & you just took the whole box down.  Sometimes upper
management brings their children into the building for an unsupervised tour
of our facilities & the white button gets pushed by accident.  Fortunately
they learn (upper management) from these events that this is not a good idea
& we generally have a bunch of months of not again until they forget again.

Don't hit the button - push it firmly - our white button had a bit of a
wobble, if you did not push it firmly, you thought you had pushed it when in
reality you had only wobbled it.  After it gets going, leave it alone (God
forbid that you push white button again in middle of re-IPL because you not
know if anything is happening) ... a PC might take 2-3 minutes to boot up, an
AS/400 might take 15-20 minutes, but then you can go for years without
rebooting one.

Before you take it all the way down, you need to find the little information
card about the control panel, that came with every AS/400, with respect to
making sure the settings there are correct that when you do take the power
down then bring it back up again, you will get normal start up without it
hassling you for passwords you do not know.