----- Original Message -----
From: <DAsmussen@aol.com>

> SQL "bigots" tend to come from Windoze shops.  Joe's example of a BOM was
> correct, but for the wrong reason.  Put ten million records in that BOM
file,
> and see how well your SQL works for verification purposes.  The latter is
> what us in the BPCS world put up with on a daily basis.  Unless you count
> inquiries and reports as the entirety of "business applications", SQL is
> defininitely _NOT_ an industry standard for business application
programming
> on _ANY_ platform...
>
> JMHO,

This is true on the AS/400, I understand.

On the PC, you can also set a key and do a seek in a SQL-based database.
I've done it in VB for years, and for the same reason - performance on
single record access and update. SQL performance in the meantime is catching
up.

Not to mention that the PC performance is getting so stratospheric, that
performance differences are fading away. I saw a namebrand 2 Ghz PC with
lots of memory and disk for under a grand today.

Once the disk drives get a couple of gig of ram cache it will be even more
moot. you can buy third party ide boards that support standard sdram now.

I wonder if part of the impetus to go to ILE was to make it too hard to just
do an MI emulator. Certainly the horsepower is there, particularly for RPG
aps, and the old argument about the midrange system having communication
processors is going away.

Brad Jensen
www.elstore.com