Frank and Joe,

You guys, in arguing system level "nit picks" (that, frankly, nobody else
cares about), have lost sight of what the original question was.  Why use SQL
instead of CHAIN or SETLL?  The answer to this question is "THERE IS
ABSOLUTELY NO REASON".  If I must remind some of you, one of the primary
reasons that SSA filed for bankruptcy is that one or more persons convinced
SSA management that a single record SQL fetch was every bit as efficient as
was a CHAIN.  The latter was not true at the time, and is not true today.
Business application programmers choose the iSeries/400 over "sexier"
machines because they don't _HAVE_ to know whether or not ISAM, VSAM, TSAM,
or DSAM is the underlying architecture -- just what works best. Despite IBM's
_HUGE_ advances in this area, SQL still ain't it for record verification.

SQL "bigots" tend to come from Windoze shops.  Joe's example of a BOM was
correct, but for the wrong reason.  Put ten million records in that BOM file,
and see how well your SQL works for verification purposes.  The latter is
what us in the BPCS world put up with on a daily basis.  Unless you count
inquiries and reports as the entirety of "business applications", SQL is
defininitely _NOT_ an industry standard for business application programming
on _ANY_ platform...

JMHO,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"If evolution works, why do mothers still have two arms?" -- Milton Berle