If you don't think it is intentional (i.e. machines being rebooted on
purpose) then it could be machine(s) rebooting for some other reason
(power). Could be a bad token-ring card in one or more machines. Could be a
bad port on an MAU or bad wiring between the machine and MAU.

You need to pay attention to the addresses given in the messages. These are
the MAC addresses of the token-ring cards. Is it always the same addresses?
If so, it is probably one machine having the problem and you just have to
find it.

When they talk about NAUN they are talking about Next Active Upstream
Neighbor. If you think of all the machines in one physical ring passing a
token around the ring, you always have somebody adjacent to you upstream and
downstream. When your adapter inserts itself into the ring, you become
somebody's NAUN and his old NAUN now becomes your NAUN. By using these
addresses you can figure out what machine is the problem. You will have to
figure out which machine goes with which MAC address. This can be
challenging if nobody installed them in an organized fashion and recorded
this information.

Another possibility is a machine so overworked (somebody with an old 386
that has it running enough software to choke a 2GHz machine), although
usually this causes beaconing, not adapter inserting/leaving the ring. You
might try turning on more of the monitoring options on your token-ring line
to get more diagnostic info.

-Marty